PATCH for Teens Toolkit
The PATCH for Teens Toolkit provides schools, community-based organizations, health care systems, and other entities the materials and resources needed to teach young people ages 12-18 about their rights and responsibilities in health care settings.
“I’m healthy. I don’t need health care.” “Confidentiality? What does that even mean?” “Wait, you mean I am legally responsible for all this health care stuff in a few years?”
PATCH for Teens touches on it all – preventive care, adolescent rights in health care settings, healthy relationships with health care providers, myths about mandated reporting, and the responsibility of managing our own health care. The content was developed WITH youth FOR youth and is designed to be an empowering experience for young people.
Teens will understand the importance of learning to manage their own health care experiences.
Teens will learn how to advocate for their own health and well-being in health care settings.
Teens will explore steps they can take to make sure they get the care they need and deserve.
- Teens need and deserve a good relationship with their health care providers.
- Teens have legal health care rights.
- Teens have a personal responsibility to learn to manage their own health care.
Purchasing the Toolkit authorizes a single facilitator to implement the PATCH for Teens lesson.
The Toolkit Includes
- 1 Facilitator Guide: Provides detailed information about how to use the PATCH for Teens Toolkit.
- PATCH for Teens Lesson: Gives facilitators step-by-step instructions and sample language to utilize when facilitating a PATCH for Teens lesson.
- 4 Video Clips: Featuring PATCH Teen Educators delivering critical content in an engaging peer-to-peer format. The videos are integrated throughout the lesson and enhanced with supplemental learning activities led by the facilitator.
- Teen Activity Sheet: A worksheet allowing teens to write or draw notes and participate in lesson activities.
- 30 Emoji Booklets: An interactive teaching tool providing a way for teens to choose and share their emotional response to lesson questions, scenarios, and activities in the form of an emoji.
- PowerPoint Template: A supplemental facilitation tool that can be downloaded and customized to your specific needs.
- Additional Activity Materials: Additional facilitation resources are provided as needed to implement the lesson with success.
- Lesson Evaluations: Two different methods are provided to help facilitators measure the lesson’s impact and gather teen feedback. You choose which one is best for your setting.
- 50 Teens Brochures – “Getting the Health Care You Need & Deserve”: A resource helping teens understand the importance of health care and the steps they can take to start becoming responsible managers of their own care.
- 50 Supportive Adult Brochures – “Your Teen’s Right to Privacy in Health Care Settings”: A guide helping parents, guardians, and other caregivers understand the health care rights and responsibilities of teens in health care settings.
- Transition Checklist: A take-home resource helping families understand the important skills a teen should have so they can successfully manage their own health care as an adult.
- Dear Provider Letter: A take-home resource to help facilitate healthy conversations between teens, their health care providers, and their parents/guardians/caregivers.
- Access to PATCH Online & PATCH Chat: Facilitators receive a unique User ID and password to access downloadable materials, videos, and resources, as well as access to PATCH Chat, an online forum to communicate with others using this Toolkit.
*Note: Although the Facilitator Guide and Lesson are currently only available in English, many of the supplemental teen resources are available in Spanish.