PATCH for Parents Toolkit
- Participants will understand the importance of teaching young people how to manage their own health and health care.
- Participants will learn about the rights and responsibilities of young people in health care settings.
- Participants will explore steps they can take to make sure young people are well-prepared to manage their health and health care as adults.
- Teens need and deserve a good relationship with their health care providers.
- Teens have legal health care rights.
- Teens have a personal responsibility to learn to manage their own health care.
Purchasing the Toolkit authorizes a single facilitator to implement the PATCH for Parents Workshop.
The Toolkit Includes
- 1 Facilitator Guide: Provides detailed information about how to use the PATCH for Parents Toolkit.
- PATCH for Parents Workshop Script: Gives facilitators step-by-step instructions and sample language to utilize when facilitating a PATCH for Parents Workshop.
- Participant Activity Sheet: A worksheet providing participants a space to write or draw notes and participate in workshop activities.
- PowerPoint Template: A supplemental facilitation tool that can be downloaded and customized to your specific needs.
- Additional Activity Materials: Additional facilitation resources are provided as needed to implement the workshop with success.
- Workshop Evaluations: Two different methods are provided to help facilitators measure the workshop’s impact and gather participant feedback. You choose which one is best for your setting.
- 50 Teens Brochures – “Getting the Health Care You Need & Deserve”: A resource helping teens understand the importance of health care and the steps they can take to start becoming responsible managers of their own care.
- 50 Supportive Adult Brochures – “Your Teen’s Right to Privacy in Health Care Settings”: A guide helping parents, guardians, and other caregivers understand the health care rights and responsibilities of teens in health care settings.
- Transition Checklist: A take-home resource helping families understand the important skills a teen should have so they can successfully manage their own health care as an adult.
- Dear Provider Letter: A take-home resource to help facilitate healthy conversations between teens, their health care providers, and their parents/guardians/caregivers.
- Access to PATCH Online & PATCH Chat: Facilitators receive a unique User ID and password to access downloadable materials, videos, and resources, as well as access to PATCH Chat, an online forum to communicate with others using this Toolkit.
*Note: Although the Facilitator Guide and Workshop are currently only available in English, many of the supplemental resources are available in Spanish.