PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition
The PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition provides school health teachers, health-related professionals, youth workers, and other adults the materials and resources needed to teach young people about their rights and responsibilities in health care settings. The Toolkit includes a detailed guide to help facilitators integrate the information into existing programming and provides sample instructional language, activities, and resources. The time to cover the material depends on individual learning needs and lesson activities included. On average, facilitators spend 45-90 minutes. Some complete all at once while others complete over the course of multiple sessions.
Students will understand the importance of learning to manage their own health care experiences.
Students will learn how to advocate for their own health and well being in health care settings.
Students will explore steps they can take to make sure they get the care they need and deserve.
- Teens need and deserve a good relationship with their health care providers.
- Teens have legal health care rights.
- Teens have a personal responsibility to learn to manage their own health care.
The Classroom Edition Toolkit Includes
- 1 Educator Guide: The guide provides detailed instruction for a successful learning experience.
- 4 Video Clips: To capitalize on the power of youth voice and peer-to-peer education, PATCH teens have created a series of short, educational videos that complement lesson activities.
- 30 Emoji Booklets: These interactive response options allow students to select and share their emotional response to workshop questions, scenarios, and activities.
- 50 PATCH for Teens Brochures: This resource provides students with important information covered in the lesson in a youth-friendly, take-home brochure.
- 50 PATCH Brochures for Parents & Guardians: This resource, titled “A Teen’s right to Privacy in Health Care Settings” helps parents and guardians successfully support teens as they take more responsibility for their health care.
- Access to PATCH Online: Educators receive a unique User ID and password to access downloadable materials, videos, and resources, as well as access to PATCH Chat, an online forum to communicate with other Educators.
- Sample PATCH Swag: PATCH-branded incentives to encourage participation!
Watch this PATCH Overview video as a preview of the videos included in this package. The videos have been created by our PATCH Teen Educators and contain all kinds of great content!
The PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition was piloted during the 2016-2017 school year. Ten facilitators, representing six different Wisconsin counties, participated. Cumulatively, they taught twenty-one classroom sessions, reaching four hundred and thirty students in grades nine to twelve. Seventy-four percent (74%) were in either ninth or tenth grade.
As a result of the lesson, over two-thirds of students reported that they plan to be more involved in their health care (69.8%), advocate for themselves (68.0%), talk openly and honestly with health care providers (71.9%), and learn more about how to manage their own health care (68.6%). When asked to write a short paragraph about how they will use the information from the lesson, half of respondents (49.6%) mentioned their intent to increase their responsibility when it comes to healthcare concerns (e.g., “I will take more control of my health care. I will ask more questions, and make sure I understand what is going on in a health care situation.” – 15-year-old, white male). Others mentioned being more honest and improving their overall communication in health care settings.
The majority of students reported that they learned a lot from the lesson and most also indicated that the lesson was interesting, useful, and easy to understand.
Modifications and improvements were made based on facilitator and participant feedback.
Facilitators have an opportunity to opt-in to our quality improvement efforts by simply sharing anonymous evaluation data. In return for enhancing our evidence-base, a 25% discount on the next purchase of Classroom Edition materials will be awarded.