Core PATCH Package
Why invest in PATCH for your community?
Health care professionals can play a key role in the health and development of young people. However, research indicates several challenges, unique to the adolescent population, that hinder their ability to get the best care possible. With an aim to improve the communication and overall relationship between adolescents and health care providers, the PATCH Core Package offers communities three intervention components: the Teen Educator Model, PATCH for Providers Workshop, and the PATCH for Teens: Peer-to-Peer Workshop.
Core PATCH Package Components
The Core PATCH Package gives communities the resources and materials needed to form a local PATCH Teen Educator Team, and the ability to offer both PATCH for Providers and PATCH for Teens: Peer-to-Peer workshops.
Note: This is our full program replication package.
PATCH Teen Educator Model
The PATCH Teen Educator Model employs and empowers youth, ages 14-18, to facilitate PATCH workshops and advocate for change within the community and health care system. We strongly believe that THEY are the experts - offering accurate and authentic insight into adolescent experiences, concerns, and preferences in health care settings. They work directly with health care professionals to inform them about what teens want, need, and expect when showing up for a health care appointment, and offer suggestions on how to create an environment that will allow them to feel comfortable and safe sharing sensitive information. They also work with their peers to empower them to speak up, seek the care they need, and be their healthiest. Through this experience, PATCH Teen Educators develop lifelong skills, gain valuable leadership experience, and increase their understanding of health and wellness.
PATCH for Providers Workshop
The PATCH for Providers workshop is driven by best evidence and has been developed as a continuing education opportunity for a wide range of health care professionals, including nurses, doctors, clinicians, medical students or residents, therapists, counselors, pharmacists, social workers, and any other front-end or support staff. In this 90-minute workshop, PATCH Teen Educators share their authentic insights into the health care concerns, preferences, and realities of today's young people.
- Increase participant knowledge about the concerns, preferences, and realities of young people in health care settings, as well as skills and resources to effectively communicate and build positive relationships with adolescent patients and/or clients;
- Increase participant confidence in their personal ability to provide high-quality care to teens by creating a confidential, non-judgmental, and supportive environment that enhances a teen's willingness to be open and honest; and
- Increase participant behavioral intentions to utilize newfound knowledge, skills, and resources in order to provide high-quality, youth-friendly care to their teen patients and/or clients.
- Participants will understand adolescents' concerns, preferences, and realities of young people in health care settings.
- Participants will explore ways to provide high-quality, youth-friendly health care services.
- Participants will acquire confidence and skills to build positive relationships and communicate effectively with teens.
"The PATCH for Providers workshop was very informative and thought provoking. It really shed light on the teen perspective and ignited a passion to make sure they truly understand their rights and feel safe, protected, and educated." - Health Care Professional
PATCH for Teens: Peer-to-Peer Workshop
The PATCH for Teens: Peer-to-Peer is a 60-minute workshop led predominately by PATCH Teen Educators with the assistance and direction of a PATCH Site Coordinator, and is intended to be delivered outside of a typical school classroom setting (e.g., health fairs, conferences, youth group meetings, student organizations/clubs, and other places young people gather to learn from one another). The workshop aims to empower young people to be active participants in their own health care, and equip them with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate and advocate for youth-friendly services.
Note: A classroom-based lesson plan is available for purchase for individuals and organizations looking to integrate this information into current programming.
- Increase participant knowledge about the importance of becoming involved in their own health care, and building positive relationships with their health care providers;
- Increase participant confidence in their personal ability to navigate and advocate for youth-friendly services, and get the care they ultimately need and deserve; and
- Increase participant behavioral intentions to utilize newfound knowledge, skills, and resources in order to become more active participants in their own health care.
- Participants will understand the importance of learning to manage their own health care experiences.
- Participants will explore steps they can take to make sure they're getting the care they need and deserve.
- Participants will gain new skills to help them advocate for their own health and well-being.
"This is a good program and it makes me feel more comfortable and confident for my next appointment 'cause I know it's okay to be shy but it's also important to speak up!" - PATCH for Teens: Peer-to-Peer Participant
Interested in purchasing the Core PATCH Package and becoming a PATCH Site?!
Purchase of this package includes a robust implementation manual and start-up kit, plus a 16-to-20 hours of in-person training to develop the comfort, knowledge, and core skills needed for successful implementation. Additional coaching packages are available to guide communities throughout program implementation.