We believe that adolescent health care programs, practices, and policies should be developed WITH young people to better meet their needs.
Because THEY are the experts. THEY are able to provide authentic insights into the concerns, ideas, and preferences of their generation. THEY can make a difference.
Awards & Recognition
PATCH is humbled and honored to be recognized nationally for our ongoing efforts in adolescent health. Thanks to ALL our partners for your time, commitment, and unyielding passion in making this work possible. We couldn't do it without you.
Core PATCH Package Awarded Best Practice!
The Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs (AMCHP) recognizes the Core PATCH Package as a "Best Practice" in the Innovation Station Database. See the press release.
Are you a Title V maternal and child health program addressing National Performance Measure 10: Adolescent Well-Visit , 11: Medical Home, and/or 12: Transition? Let's work together! PATCH is also included in AMCHP's Implementation Toolkits as a strategic approach addressing these measures.
Aeschbach, C. J., Burrough, W. B., Olejniczak, A. B., & Koepsel, E. R. (2019). Teaching adolescents to manage their own health care. The Journal of School Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059840519867363
Olejniczak, A., Otalora-Fadner, H., Hanna, C., Hudson, E., Tess, J., & Royer, H. (2015). Evaluation of a curriculum to improve clinician communication with adolescents. WMJ, 114(5), 213-216.
Additional publications are in the works! Stay tuned.
- Toward Healthier Generations: Successful and Collaborative Approaches to Engaging Youth in Efforts to Improve Adolescent Health Outcomes. Presentation at the Association of Maternal and Child Health Program's Annual Conference [Virtual], 2020.
- A Community and Youth Driven Approach to Addressing NPM 10 and 12 in Wisconsin. Poster presented at the Association of Maternal and Child Health Program's Annual Conference [Virtual], 2020.
- Empowering Adolescents to Become Responsible Managers of their own Health Care: A 3-Pronged Approach. Presentation at the Society of Public Health Education's Annual Conference in Salt Lake City UT, 2019
- Empowering Young People to Turn Their Passion into Activism. Poster presented at the Society of Public Health Education's Annual Conference in Salt Lake City UT, 2019
- Providers and Teens Communicating for Health: Because THEY are the experts! Presentation at the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality's Growing Up Healthy Conference, 2019
- Health Literacy in Young People: Examples from the Field. Invited guest on Institute for Healthcare Advacement's Health Literacy Group Discussion, 2019
- Authentically Engaging Youth to be Inclusive Leaders and Activists: Because THEY are the experts! Presentation at Toward One Wisconsin's Conference on Overcoming Barriers to Inclusion, 2019
- Teaching Youth How to Navigate Health Care and Empowering Them to be Their Own Advocate. Presentation at Wisconsin's Annual Best Practices in Health and Physical Education Academy, 2018
- A Statewide Approach to Developing and Empowering Young Leaders and Activists. Presentation at the Healthy Teen Network's 39th Annual National Conference in San Diego CA, 2018
- Positive and Authentic Youth Engagement: Lessons from Replicating a Community-Based, Youth-Driven Program in Various Communities Nationwide. Poster presented at the Healthy Teen Network's 39th Annual National Conference in San Diego CA, 2018
- PATCH: Bringing youth and providers together to improve care from the youth perspective. Presentation at the Indiana School Health Network Conference, 2018
- Increasing Patient Engagement and Activation Among Adolescents: A Classroom Pilot Intervention. Round table discussion at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition in Orlando FL, 2018
- Effectiveness of a Community-Based, Youth-Driven Program: Multi-Site Evaluation. Poster presented at the Family and Youth Services Bureau's (FYSB) Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Conference in Washington D.C., 2018
- Successfully Partnering with Youth: Strategies for Including Young Adult Perspective to Improve Adolescent Health Outcomes. Webinar presentation for Wisconsin's Health Care Transition Community, 2018.
- PATCH Impacts on Adolescent Health. Webinar presentation for Adolescent and Young Adult Health National Resource Center - Collaborative Improvement and Innovation Network (AYAH-CoIIN), 2017
- Educating, Engaging, and Empowering Youth. Creative Outreach Panel Presentation at the Minnesota Adolescent Sexual Health Summit, 2017
- Cultivating a Generation of Savvy Healthcare Consumers. Presentation at the American School Health Association Conference in Baltimore MD, 2016
- Adolescent Health: Think, Act, Grow - TAG in Action Panel. Panelist at the American Public Health Association Conference in Denver CO, 2016
- Expanding the Impact of PATCH to Improve Relationships between Teens & Health Care Professionals. Presentation at the Adolescent Health Symposium in Madison WI, 2016.
- Innovative Ways to Educate Adolescents about Healthcare. Presentation at Wisconsin's Building the Heart of Successful Schools, 2016
- PATCH for Schools. Presentation at the Adolescent Health Symposium in Madison WI, 2015
- Bullying and the Impact on LGBTQ+ Youth: How to be part of the solution! Presentation at the Wisconsin Association of School Nurses Spring Conference, 2015
- PATCH Expansion to Rural Wisconsin. Presentation at the Wisconsin Public Health Nursing Conference, 2015