Getting the health care you need and deserve: a lesson created BY youth, FOR youth
With an aim to improve the communication and overall relationship between adolescents and health care providers, the PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition was developed to teach youth, ages 14 – 18, about how to get the health care they need and deserve. It can be integrated into existing programming, or school health curricula to fulfill certain components of the National Health Education Standards, particularly
- Standard 1: Core Concepts
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Standard 4: Interpersonal Communication
- Standard 8: Advocacy
School health teachers, health-related professionals, youth leaders, and other adults can cover the material in 45-90 minutes (completed all at once or over the course of multiple sessions) depending on individual learning needs and activities included.
Students will understand the importance of learning to manage their own health care experiences.
Students will learn how to advocate for their own health and well being in health care settings.
Students will explore steps they can take to make sure they get the care they need and deserve.
- Teens need and deserve a good relationship with their health care providers.
- Teens have legal health care rights.
- Teens have a personal responsibility to learn to manage their own health care.
The Classroom Edition Toolkit Includes
- 1 Educator Guide: The guide provides detailed instruction to ensure a successful learning experience.
- 4 Video Clips: To capitalize on the power of youth voice and peer-to-peer education, PATCH teens have created a series of short, educational videos that complement lesson activities.
- 30 Emoji Booklets: These interactive response options allow students to select and share their emotional response to workshop questions, scenarios, and activities.
- 50 PATCH for Teens Brochures: This resource provides students with important information covered in the lesson in a youth-friendly, take-home brochure.
- 50 PATCH Brochures for Parents & Guardians: This resource, titled “A Teen’s right to Privacy in Health Care Settings” helps parents and guardians successfully support teens as they take more responsibility for their health care.
- Access to PATCH Online: Educators receive a unique User ID and password to access downloadable materials, videos, and resources, as well as access to PATCH Chat, an online forum to communicate with other Educators.
- Sample PATCH Swag: PATCH-branded incentives to encourage participation!
Watch this PATCH Overview video as a preview of the videos included in this package. The videos have been created by our PATCH Teen Educators and contain all kinds of great content!
The PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition was piloted during the 2016-2017 school year. Twenty-two classroom sessions, five high schools, and nine facilitators from across Wisconsin participated. Four hundred and thirty students were taught the lesson.
Roughly 2/3 of the student participants reported that because of the PATCH for Teens: Classroom Edition, they have an increased understanding of the importance of learning to manage their own health care experiences. Half of the participants also reported that they have a better understanding of how to advocate for their own health and well-being in healthcare settings. Finally, approximately 3/4 of the students report that they plan to use the information from the program to explore steps they can take to ensure that they receive the care they need and deserve.
Overall, the majority of students across ages and binary gender report that they have an increased knowledge of the topics covered in the program. Additionally, students found the program to not only be educational, but were also able to engage effectively with the material and, for the most part, enjoyed the delivery of the content.
As needed, we modified and improved the materials and look forward to continually reviewing the literature and our evaluations to ensure we are providing the most up-to-date content. Individuals who purchase the Classroom Edition have an opportunity to opt-in to our quality improvement efforts by simply sharing anonymous evaluation data. In return for enhancing our evidence-base, a 25% discount on the next purchase of Classroom Edition materials will be awarded.